(Application must be turned in by November 21, 2020)
Northern Lights Junior Volleyball offers grants for players that need financial assistance. These grants range from $250 – $1500. The number of grants each year is determined by the Northern Lights Board of Directors. To comply with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules pertaining to receiving financial aid:
- The aid must be based on financial need, not athletic ability.
- The rules for offering the aid must be clearly stated.
Any player may apply for special financial assistance, however preference will be given to those that meet the following guidelines:
- They play on a Northern Lights team that costs $2,500 or more.
- Their annual household income is less than $65,000, (Add $5,000 for each daughter that is a member of Northern Lights Junior Volleyball).
- They play on a Northern Lights 14 & Under, 15 & Under, 16 & Under, 17 & Under team, or 18 & Under team.
How to Apply
To apply for a grant you must do the following:
- Tryout out and be selected for a Northern Lights team meeting the criteria stated above.
- Go to the FinAid website to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- For Show select “Detailed Output”
- For Need Analysis Methodology select “Federal Methodology”
- For Use Tables for Award Year select “2013-2014”
- For Student Status, leave the default values
- For Family Information – Number in College, enter the total number of children in college, plus children in private school, plus number of children in Northern Lights.
- Enter your financial information in the Parent Information Section.
- Leave the Student Information section blank.
- In the Estimated School Costs section enter $5,000 for the Tuition cost of School #1. Leave all other boxes empty.
- Run the calculation, print the “Detailed Output” (down to the word “Suggestions”), make sure your name is written on the form, include a copy of page 1 of your last year’s tax return (Form 1040), put it in a sealed envelope, label it Scholarship application – Attn: Adam, and submit to Northern Lights Junior Volleyball by November 21st. (Please do not bring this application to tryouts, as it will get lost with all the other paperwork we handle that day.) Make sure your name is on the form or we will not be able identify who is applying, and make sure you include a copy of the first page of your last year’s tax return (Form 1040 page 1).
- The numbers which the form generates are not the amount of a grant. The numbers which the form generates are used to calculate the amount of a grant taking into account many other factors. There is no way for you to know what a final grant amount will be, and it is not possible for us to give you that information before we have processed all applications.
If more than ten players apply for financial assistance, applicants will be ranked by financial need and the top ten (or more if funding permits) will receive the grants. Recipients will be notified between December 1 and December 16. No decisions will be made prior to tryouts. Grants will be prorated and applied only for the months a player is actively playing.
Grants will be prorated and applied only for the months a player is actively playing.
Grants are for players who have a financial need. Players which have parents attending travel events, or who have historically attended travel events in past years, will have their grants reduced by an amount which the Northern Lights Administration deems equivalent to the cost of the travel to that event by the parent.
If you receive a grant in 2020-2021, it is requested that you volunteer additional hours for the club. This may include: sweeping courts at major events, working at the Northern Lights Qualifier (January and/or April) and/or Stars & Stripes Classic (May), helping out after MVW events such as Power Leagues, etc.