(Application must be turned in by November 21, 2020)
Northern Lights Junior Volleyball offers grants for players that need financial assistance. These grants range from $250 – $1500. The number of grants each year is determined by the Northern Lights Board of Directors. To comply with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) rules pertaining to receiving financial aid:
- The aid must be based on financial need, not athletic ability.
- The rules for offering the aid must be clearly stated.
Any player may apply for special financial assistance, however preference will be given to those that meet the following guidelines:
- They play on a Northern Lights team that costs $3500 or more.
- Their annual household income is less than $65,000, (Add $5,000 for each daughter that is a member of Northern Lights Junior Volleyball).
- They play on a Northern Lights 14 & Under, 15 & Under, 16 & Under, 17 & Under team, or 18 & Under team.
How to Apply
To apply for a grant you must do the following:
- Tryout out and be selected for a Northern Lights team meeting the criteria stated above.
- Go to the FinAid website to calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- For Student Status, keep as “Dependent”.
- For Number of household members in college, enter the total number of children in college, plus children in private school, plus number of children in Northern Lights.
- Enter your financial information in the Parent Information section.
- Adjusted Gross Income should be taken directly from your latest 1040.
- Parent 1 Income from Work + Parent 2 Income from Work should equal the Adjusted Gross Income from your latest 1040.
- In the Student Information section, Student filed taxes? should be “No”. Leave the rest of the Student Information section blank.
- Print a copy of the page through the Student Information section before running the calculation.
- Run the calculation. Print the EFC Calculator Results. Make sure your name is written on the top of the page.
- Both print-outs should be submitted. Also include a copy of page 1 of your last year’s tax return (Form 1040). Put all three in a sealed envelope, label it Scholarship Application – Attn: Adam, and submit to Northern Lights Junior Volleyball by November 21st. (Please do not bring this application to tryouts, as it will get lost with all the other paperwork we handle that day.) Make sure your name is on the form or we will not be able identify who is applying, and make sure you include a copy of the first page of your last year’s tax return (Form 1040 page 1).
- The numbers which the form generates are not the amount of a grant. The numbers which the form generates are used to calculate the amount of a grant taking into account many other factors. There is no way for you to know what a final grant amount will be, and it is not possible for us to give you that information before we have processed all applications.
If more than ten players apply for financial assistance, applicants will be ranked by financial need and the top ten (or more if funding permits) will receive the grants. Recipients will be notified between December 1 and December 16. No decisions will be made prior to tryouts. Grants will be prorated and applied only for the months a player is actively playing.
Grants will be prorated and applied only for the months a player is actively playing.
Grants are for players who have a financial need. Players which have parents attending travel events, or who have historically attended travel events in past years, will have their grants reduced by an amount which the Northern Lights Administration deems equivalent to the cost of the travel to that event by the parent.
If you receive a grant in 2020-2021, it is requested that you volunteer additional hours for the club. This may include: sweeping courts at major events, working at the Northern Lights Qualifier (January and/or April) and/or Stars & Stripes Classic (May), helping out after MVW events such as Power Leagues, etc.