January Thaw Stay and Play Policy
Guaranteed lowest group rates at approved hotels
As part of this year’s event, we are requiring non local teams to make housing reservations at an approved hotel through our housing company THS before they will be accepted into the tournament. Making a reservation without using The THS Company does not fulfill this requirement.
Each non-local team will need to book a minimum of 8 room nights. (1 room night is equal to 1 room for 1 night, so 8 room nights would be equal to 4 rooms for 2 nights.) in an approved hotel through our housing agency The THS Company.
The definition of “Local” is a team which is within 55 miles of the Omaha Convention Center. A club/team that attempts to use an address within the 55 mile limit for the purposes of claiming to be a local team, will not be granted “local” status.
Benefits you will receive
- We will guarantee the lowest group rate possible at our approved hotels. If you call one of the hotels on our approved list, and are quoted a lower group rate for the same dates, call us. All of the approved hotels have guaranteed us the lowest available group rate on these dates. (This does not include special rates such as AAA, AARP, Government, corporate negotiated, or discounted single room rates.)
- We have the best hotels and the most rooms available at those hotels this year. Remember we are booking hundreds of rooms and all of the hotels want a piece of that action.
- We have a wide range of prices starting at $89 per night. We also make sure each hotel is a quality property and appropriate for teams. If it’s not, we won’t have it on our list.
- We will periodically run a rate integrity check on our hotels. If the hotel lowers the price for one group, everyone at that property gets the lower rate.
- Travel agents can book the rooms. Travel agents may book rooms for a club, but the rates shown are net rates.
The reasons for this policy
- Convention Centers are built by cities to generate business for the local economy. The use of the Convention Center is contingent on our group generating a minimum number of hotel room nights. In order to show that we are generating the required number of hotel nights, we need a complete and accurate list/count of all the rooms booked. (Rooms which are booked outside of our room block do not count.) By utilizing a housing management company, such as THS, we are able to capture this information and show the convention center that volleyball is generating enough room nights to warrant continued use of the facility. This is becoming more important as competition for convention center space has dramatically increased over the past 3 years.
- Many people believe that booking rooms through us increases the price for the rooms. The opposite is actually true. Since we are willing to sell large blocks of rooms it forces the hotels to contain their prices to remain competitive with one another. There were several downtown hotels that wanted to charge upwards of $179 per night. We told them no and they either lowered their rate or they are not being utilized by us. There is no doubt rates at all the metro area hotels would be significantly higher if we did not use this leverage. Hotels which have set rates that we consider unreasonable have not been accepted as Tournament Approved Hotels.
- It is not a secret. The tournament does get a rebate based on the number of hotel rooms booked. This income is needed to make the event function. Entry fees for the event alone do not cover the costs of using a convention center.
Other interesting facts
The popular notion is that rates are cheaper at hotels “outside the block” because the hotels raise rates to cover a commission to the event. This is not accurate. Our approved hotels offer lower rates, because we assure them we will sell their rooms, and they still pay commission. If you don’t believe us call our approved hotels and try to book a group of rooms for the dates of the tournament without mentioning the January Thaw or the group rate and see what you will pay. (If you get a quote for a lower group rate, call us immediately, as the hotels are required to guarantee our attendees the lowest group rates.)
Hotels outside a block have a vested interest in trying to stay outside the block – it allows them to capitalize on the work the event does to bring customers to the city, to keep all the money they collect from you and to raise rates to cover a commission if they have to pay a travel agent. These hotels are definitely not putting money back into your pocket nor are they supporting volleyball. Hotels that are in the block are supporting volleyball through the rebate that the event receives and uses to operate the event.
Please call THS Toll Free at 888-536-8326 if you have one of the following situations:
- You have a travel agent and want to continue using this agent.
- You don’t book rooms as team, but rather each parent/athlete books a room individually. This is very easy to handle.
Remember, you are guaranteed the lowest group rates at our approved hotels (excludes corporate negotiated rates, AARP rates, AAA rates and government rates).
- Reservations may be made starting October 23 10:00 AM Eastern Time. A link to the THS reservation site will be posted on the main January Thaw webpage by mid-October.
- Your team must be entered in the tournament and it’s entry fee received in the Northern Lights office before you can reserve hotel rooms.
- You can also set up a block of parent rooms for your parents to log in and draw from.
If you have special needs, please contact THS directly at 888-536-8326. They will be happy to help you out.
Your help and understanding in this matter is keeping the hotel rates lower for everyone.
Thanks for supporting this event.